Position: Fossil Free Canada Divestment Field Organizer
Organization: Canadian Youth Climate Coalition http://www.ourclimate.quarkcreative.ca
Location: based in Eastern Canada, ideally Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal
Start Date: Mid August
Duration: 10 weeks (with possibility of extension funding dependent)
Hours: Part time (30 hours/week)
Already, nearly 20 campuses across Canada have launched campaigns to divest from fossil fuels and the Canadian Youth Climate Coalition is looking for a creative, dedicated campaigner to take the campaign to the next level!
Fossil Free Canada is a project that helps connect student activists and organizers across Canada to a common narrative about climate change, and provide a campaign framework that aims directly at the source of the fossil fuel industry’s power: it’s money. The campaign works with concerned people — especially students — to take on the industry in their backyards and on campuses through institutional divestment from fossil fuel corporations and escalated creative action.
The Fossil Free Field Organizer will be responsible for working with our staff and students across Canada to coordinate a two week speaking tour and launch fossil fuel divestment campaigns on campuses and at other institutions in Eastern Canada.
The successful candidate will be a skilled organizer, a self-starter, a creative thinker, an effective team player, tech-savvy and an articulate writer and speaker.
The CYCC strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group that is committed to the principles of climate and environmental justice. We welcome the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourages Indigenous/First Nations people, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people, transgendered/gender-variant people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply.
We encourage applicants to describe the contributions and experiences they as individuals who identify with marginalized communities, would bring to the CYCC in their cover letter.
- Based in Eastern Canada
- Fluent in English, with ability to work in French (bilingualism is an asset)
• Independent and self motivated, but able to work as part of a team
• Possess an understanding of climate change science and politics
• Some organizing experience, knowledge and experience with student organizing is an asset
• Knowledge and understanding of action organizing
• Media and social media skills and experience
• Experience and skills in writing and public speaking
- Experience with facilitation and an understanding of principles of anti-oppressive organizing and facilitation
- Experience with event planning and event management
- Logistical organizing skills
- Work with national staff and students at Universities and Colleges in the area to kick off fossil fuel divestment campaigns throughout the region.
- Work with national staff and tour speakers to coordinate a 2 week speaking tour across Canada (candidate will be expected to commit to be on the tour Sept 16-30th)
• Develop and support teams of on and off-campus climate activists and organizers throughout the region, and encourage responsible escalation.
• Guide and mentor campus and community leaders through campus divestment campaigns, and provide opportunities for them to develop their organizing skill set.
• Connect Fossil Free Canada organizing with the local climate movement in your region and create alliances between the CYCC, campus organizers and other local groups and organizers
• Plan and organize a grassroots leadership training for campus leaders in your region
• Work closely with allies and partners in the region to ensure buy-in and coordination for visibility events.
• Liaise and support other progressive grassroots movements, and represent the CYCC to them
• Maintain a working knowledge of climate change and energy finance, and of the social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic framework relevant to the campaign.
- Communicate regularly with the CYCC director and Steering Committee, including drafting brief weekly reports outlining that week’s activities.
To apply, please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. as soon as possible and not later than August 2, 2013.